Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Arrival in Johannesburg

On the way to Jo'burg, I got seated right in the middle of a Scottish family heading down to a family wedding in Pretoria. Apparently, Scottish weddings are quite the celebration, so they began the flight by partying. I am not one to break tradition, so I joined in. This lasted for a couple of hours, before they all went to sleep. Luckily, I slept for the rest of the way to Johannesburg. By the time we reached the city, I was wide awake to see one of the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen.

From the plane, I noticed a few things. First, the discrepancy between rich and poor. Some communities were composed of opulant mansions with swimming pools and other amenities. Second, I immediately noticed how gated everything was: houses, shops, and schools.

The airport was no different, the customs and immigration officials were anal to say the least. At the baggage claim, they had dogs inspecting everyone's bags for banned goods and drugs. It was funny because the dogs were not big german sheppards, but beagles. I reached down to pet one of them and the very stern African lady informed me not to. This is quite different from the Kamsack bus depot ;).
On the ground, I was blown away by the city's beauty accented by walls and razor wire. But, that is manor in which they are accustomed and it's not that bad. In the parkade, there were many foreign cars like BMWs and Fiats. When we were walking to our car, I noticed a beautiful Fararri. I could not beleive it but I did not let on because I did not want to look like a shock Canadian. However, all the people recieving me had the same reaction because these cars are not that common. At 8am the tempurature was only 17, but it felt like 25. South Africans drive on the left-hand side of the road, this was one of my first shocks...I was jumping the whole ride home thinking we were going to crash.

Touring the University of Jo'burg was also a bit of a shock the nature outside was very impressive, but the building itself was primarily concrete and very high security. Not like the UofS. The rest of the day, I toured some shops in a nearby district called Melville. I thought that I was about to experience my first mugging when an old guy came up to us with his hand in his pocket. As he began to speak, he quickly pulled his hand out of his pocket. I jumped because I thought it was a knife; however, he was only trying to point to something I could not understand because he was drunk. I composed myself and we kept walking.

In the evening, one of their trainees was leaving so we went out to a traditional Indian restaurant. Some of the best Indian food I have ever eaten.

2 Comments:

Blogger JT said...

Awesome! A drunk old man! I think you could've taken him.
Whenever you have some free-time and you want to see something cool close by, politely insist on going to Krugersdorp's Lion & Rhino game park and also the Sterkfontein caves next to it - the cradle of humankind. (Crazy old famous hominid fossils found there) They also make the best boerewors rolls at the little shop on the koppie by the caves. A little path on the koppie takes you to an incredible lookout point over the high-veld. Trust me, It's half-a-day's adventure you'll never forget.

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! » » »

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home